E-commerce platform market is a very saturated market that finding the perfectly fitting shopping cart software that meets your business needs is very difficult. The platform should be effective in terms of Search Engine Optimization so as to increase your chances of high sales turn over from the organic search results. Another factor to consider when choosing an e-commerce platform is pricing. This article explains five popular e-commerce platforms based on SEO rankings in addition to other factors to consider when choosing an e-commerce platform. Here are some of the ecommerce platforms to consider:
Bigcommerce is a very simple and elegant platform to use. It features very clear instructions as to how to set up your website in very short period of time. It has modules for all types of customization procedures. Perhaps the biggest defect of this platform is that it lacks the drag-and-drop editor which makes customization of websites very easy. Pricing for this platform begins from $29.95 per month.
The 3dcart has good tutorials ideal for novice online business owners. They can assist you pick or select the appropriate templates for your starting business. The best advantage of this platform is the fact that it has the drag-and-drop feature unlike Bigcommerce; this enables you to drag icons and templates into position without having to modify HTML codes. This is a big boost for beginners with no or little experience in web design. 3dcart ranges from $19.99 per month.
Shopify has an easy setup with a dashboard for adding new products and customizing your site according to your preferences. The greatest strength of this platform comes in the fact that you can import your data from another platform in the sign-up process. It provides a link through which you can import your previous information from other platforms. The addition of a product category in this platform is easy because it explains what each field is used for whether for prices, descriptions or titles. Shopify goes for around $9 per month.
Volusion has a clean template for product addition, though not as fancy as other platforms but it is functionally on point. The only problem with Volusion is when changing the layout or design of the pages; it does not have drag-and-drop feature and as such, some background knowledge of coding or programming is rudimentary. It costs $15 a month.
e) Big Cartel
The visual appeal in Big Cartel is not very friendly and impressive in addition to the fact that texts do not appear very visible on this platform. It also lacks the drag-and-drop feature and the tools required for editing are also weak. Despite these weaknesses, Big cartel offers a customizable template that requires basic coding skills to perfect.
Besides the above popular e-commerce platforms, you may also want to consider the following alternatives;
- 1 & 1
Other factors to consider
Besides Search engine optimization factors, it is also important to consider the following factors when choosing the best e-commerce platform.
- Cost- this may include monthly costs, premium costs, and transaction costs.
- Simplicity- opt for a platform that is easy to use and navigate. It is also important to consider your expertise level.
- Customer support- the platform should be in a position to get access to technical assistance should there be an error that needs to be debugged.
- Payment method- use only the payment plan you are comfortable with and with which you are familiar with its rates and charges.
- Ability to synchronize with EPOS and software for accounting purposes.
- Scalability- choose an e-commerce platform that is able to grow with your business on an even level. It should be in a position to handle the increasing traffic while maintaining functionality.
- Mobile optimization- with the growing smartphone trends in the market, many users are using their mobile phones to shop rather than their PCs and desktop because of the convenience it poses. The ecommerce platform should be able to optimize your site for mobile users.
- Confidentiality- the platform should be in a position to guarantee the protection of customer vital information from prying eyes.
- Perpetual continuity- opt for a platform with a strong customer base that can guarantee a perpetual longevity. This saves you the inconvenience of later migrating to another platform in case your current one is terminated.
- What is an ecommerce website
When choosing an e-commerce platform, consider the above attributes because they will not only save you money, but also the time that would have been wasted in trying out every platform there is on the market. It is recommended to choose platforms that not only allows you to switch to other platforms with additional features but also assists you in the transition process. A good example is the Shopify. Platform ratings do not tell the whole story. Instead, consider individual platform attributes unique and compatible with your online business.